A facelift is a cosmetic procedure that seeks to improve visible signs of aging. It is medically known as a rhytidectomy. This procedure involves the removal of excess skin as well as fat. It also involves tightening of the underlying muscle. Finally, it can re-drape the skin of your neck and face.
The first step is setting up an appointment with Dr Michael Zacharia. The surgeon will begin by discussing the risks involved and costs. If you still want to push through, it is crucial that you know what to do before, during and after the procedure to ensure success.
Two weeks before the surgery
It is crucial that you make the necessary preparations two weeks prior to your surgery. Here are things to do two weeks before the surgery:
• You are required to stop smoking. Keep in mind that smoking can alter the blood flow, which can have a negative effect on your healing.
• You also need to avoid taking aspirin and other blood thinners.
• If the surgeon prescribed medications prior to the operation, make sure that you take
• Follow other directions of the surgeon. This is to ensure that the facelift will be a success.
A day before the surgery
It is pretty normal to be anxious but you have to remain calm. Here are the things to do a day before the surgery:
• To minimise the risk of infection, you need to wash your hair thoroughly.
• Additionally, you need to avoid alcohol night before the scheduled surgery.
• Arrange someone to drive you and be with you for the first 24 hours of the surgery.
• Make sure that you get a good rest. If there are other instructions from the
surgeon, you need to follow.
The day of the surgery
This is the what you have been waiting for. You may be overwhelmed but it is crucial that you do not forget the following things:
• The procedure will only take 2-4 hours. This will depend on your cosmetic needs.
• You should expect to be given local or general anesthesia before the surgery. This is the reason why you need to arrange someone to drive you because the effects may last beyond the time needed to complete the surgery.
• After the surgery, the surgeon will give instructions. Like before, you need to ensure that you follow.
• You should also expect that your head and face would be bandaged.
After the surgery
Once you are settled at home, you should do the following:
• The bandage will help reduce the bruising and swelling. The surgeon may insert a drainage tube behind your ear to prevent the blood and other fluids from collecting under your skin.
• Expect to be given pain medication to ensure that you feel as comfortable as possible.
• Healing time is usually about two weeks. During this time, you should expect numbness, swelling and skin discoloration.
• More importantly, do not forget to elevate the head to minimise swelling. Additionally, the dressing should be kept dry until you are given the signal to bath or shower.
A facelift is a serious procedure. Make sure that you know everything about it before totally committing. At the end of this procedure when you are totally healed, you will notice a younger looking you. This is enough to boost your confidence and self-esteem.